Exciting future with technological change taking over the automotive industry
Follow your passion and do something you love
Apply now to earn as you learn a Nationally Recognised Trade
A World of Opportunity Awaits
Heavy Commercial Trailer Technicians Keep South Australia Moving!
If you want to work in a role in high demand ensuring heavy vehicle trailers are maintained to the highest safety standards, this apprenticeship is for you.
This specialised heavy commercial trailer qualification will prepare you to service, diagnose and repair complex trailers and trailer systems used with heavy vehicle applications.
This is your doorway into the global transport industry!
About us ...
The Motor Trade Association of South Australia (MTA) is South Australia’s only dedicated automotive industry training provider, delivering apprentices with the skills, training and industry access to best prepare them for a career as a Heavy Commercial Trailer Technician.
MTA apprentices are trained by industry, for industry, this means you learn the skills that are needed in the modern workshop which also includes practical hands on assessments.
We train over 900 apprentices and employ over 500 automotive apprentices across a range of automotive trades producing the qualified technicians of the future.
About the role …
There’s an industry for qualified Heavy Commercial Trailer Technicians which means more post apprenticeship opportunities than ever for young people wanting to get their start in the automotive industry.
Successful applicants will commence the AUR31816 Certificate III in Heavy Commercial Trailer Technology qualification.
This role would be suited to a person who has a genuine interest in becoming an automotive specialist and developing the skills to set themselves apart. Learn how Dog trailers, Rigid trailers, B-Double and Road Train configurations work while you complete your four-year apprenticeship.
Other duties include:
- Work on dog trailers, B-Double and other multi combination trailers, single axle trailers to multi-axle trailers and tippers
- Service and repair brakes, suspension, final drive (hubs and differentials), pneumatic systems and hydraulic systems
- Dynamic control systems (ABS, ESP and Rollover)
- Wiring harnesses
- Wiring new lights for trailers
- Refrigeration system diagnosis and repair
- Development of skills to perform mechanical work in the automotive heavy vehicle service and repair sector including trucks
This is a four-year apprenticeship, although a competency-based training approach allows for possible earlier completion.
About you …
You want to be an automotive specialist, working on and repairing trailers used with heavy vehicle applications.
You are someone who has excellent attention to detail, a willingness to learn and is self-motivated to perform!
You are reliable and committed to seeing this apprenticeship through from commencement to completion.
To be successful in this role you need the following:
Essential skills & competencies:
- Mechanical aptitude
- Experience with hand/power tools
- Passion for the Motor Industry
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Excellent time management skills
- Ability to follow instructions, processes and procedures
- Willingness to learn
- Good communication skills
- Friendly and have a great personality
- Completion of year 10 or higher
- Successful completion of MTA's pre-selection test which can be conducted at our Training and Employment Centre or Online
- Provisional Drivers Licence
The MTA is a Registered Training Organisation (RTO Code 2293).
If you're over 21 years old, please read MTA's Adult Apprenticeship Policy prior to completing an application.
If you have experience in the automotive industry but not the qualifications, you may be eligible to receive Recognition of Prior Learning.
Take the first step to a successful career in one of the most cutting edge industries today and apply now for a Heavy Commercial Trailer Apprenticeship!
We are not asking for a resume from you. Simply complete the application process by clicking the Apply Now button and we’ll be in touch.
No recruitment agencies please
For more information on Skills SA criteria click here or visit www.skills.sa.gov.au