Exciting future with technological change taking over the automotive industry
Follow your passion and do something you love
Apply now to earn as you learn a Nationally Recognised Trade
A World of Opportunity Awaits
If you enjoy the thought of working with, turbochargers,
brake systems, electronic engine and vehicle body management systems, a career as a Light Vehicle Mechanical Technician is for you!
About us ...
The Motor Trade Association of South Australia (MTA) is South Australia’s only dedicated automotive industry training provider, delivering apprentices with the skills, training and industry access to best prepare them for a career as a Light Vehicle Technician.
MTA apprentices are trained by industry, for industry, this means you learn the skills that are needed in the modern workshop including practical hands on assessments.
We train over 900 apprentices and employ over 500 automotive apprentices across a range of automotive trades producing the qualified technicians of the future.
About the role …
There’s an industry need for qualified Light Vehicle Mechanical Technicians (formerly known as Motor Mechanics) which means more post apprenticeship opportunities than ever for young people wanting to get their start in the automotive industry.
Successful applicants will commence the AUR30616 Certificate III in Light Vehicle Mechanical Technology qualification.
This role would be suited to a person who has a genuine interest in working with passenger and utility vehicles of all forms, finding out what makes them work and working out solutions to technical problems.
You’ll service, repair and overhaul mechanical parts such as engines, transmissions and suspension systems.
Other duties include:
- Tuning and diagnosing engines using electronic equipment
- Diagnosing, repairing and replacing engine management/fuel injection and electric vehicle components
- Repairing/replacing faulty parts by removing assemblies such as engines, transmissions, differentials and steering gear
- Testing and repairing electrical systems such as lighting, instrumentation and other vehicle body management systems
- Reassembling, testing, cleaning and adjusting repaired or replaced parts or assemblies
- Using scan tools and computers to identify vehicle electronic faults and ensure repaired or replaced components are operating correctly
This is a four-year apprenticeship, although a competency-based training approach allows for possible earlier completion.
About you …
You enjoy working with vehicles and solving problems. Nothing makes you happier than pulling things apart to learn how they work!
You are someone who has excellent attention to detail, a willingness to learn and is self-motivated to perform!
You are reliable and committed to seeing this apprenticeship through from commencement to completion.
To be successful in this role you need the following:
Essential skills & competencies:
- Passion for the Motor Industry
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Excellent time management skills
- Ability to follow instructions, processes and procedures
- Willingness to learn
- Good communication skills
- Friendly and have a great personality
- Completion of year 10 or higher
- Successful completion of MTA's pre-selection test which can be conducted at our Training and Employment Centre or Online
- Provisional Drivers Licence
The MTA is a Registered Training Organisation (RTO Code 2293).
If you're over 21 years old, please read MTA's Adult Apprenticeship Policy prior to completing an application.
If you have experience in the automotive industry but not the qualifications, you may be eligible to receive Recognition of Prior Learning
Take the first step to a successful career in one of the most cutting edge industries today and apply now for a Light Vehicle Mechanical Technician Apprenticeship!
We are not asking for a resume from you. Simply complete the application process by clicking the Apply Now button and we’ll be in touch.
No recruitment agencies please
For more information on Skills SA criteria click here or visit www.skills.sa.gov.au