Exciting future with technological change taking over the automotive industry
Follow your passion and do something you love
Apply now to earn as you learn a Nationally Recognised Trade
A World of Opportunity Awaits
If you like the idea of learning about the complex technology in modern farm equipment, an Agricultural Mechanical Technician is the position for you!
Agricultural Mechanical Technicians ensure the technology in tractors, harvesters and sprayers operates correctly, often quickly diagnosing and repairing issues both in the workshop and out in the paddock.
About us ...
The Motor Trade Association of South Australia (MTA) is South Australia’s only dedicated automotive industry training provider, delivering apprentices with the skills, training and industry access to best prepare them for a career as an Agricultural Mechanical Technician.
MTA apprentices are trained by industry, for industry, this means you learn the skills that are needed in the modern workshop including practical hands-on assessments.
We train over 900 apprentices and employ over 500 automotive apprentices across a range of automotive trades producing the qualified technicians of the future.
About the role …
The need for qualified Agricultural Mechanical Technicians means more opportunities than ever for young people wanting to get their start in the automotive industry.
Successful applicants will commence the AUR30416 Certificate III in Agricultural Mechanical Technology qualification.
This role would be suited to a person who has a genuine interest in servicing and repairing all types of diesel farming and agricultural machines including tractors, headers, mowers, slashers, irrigation and harvesting equipment.
An Agricultural Mechanical Technology apprenticeship will use your STEM and problem-solving skills in a challenging and rewarding career.
Other duties include:
- Service and repair Tractors, Headers, Mowers and Slashers
- Understand how to work on powershift and hydrostatic transmissions
- Agricultural specific track drive systems (rubber tracks)
- Instruments and safety systems for agricultural vehicles
- Work on Sprayers, Cutters and Diggers and other various agricultural attachments
- The development of skills to perform mechanical work in the agricultural vehicle and equipment service and repair sector to meet customer needs
Apprentices will also graduate with a AUR20216 - Certificate II in Automotive Air Conditioning Technology, which is a pre-requisite for an Artick licence (air-con gas handling)
This is a four-year apprenticeship, although a competency-based training approach allows for possible earlier completion.
About you …
You enjoying working on big machines and like the idea of fixing farm equipment including Tractors, Headers and Sprayers.
You are someone who has excellent attention to detail, a willingness to learn and is self-motivated to perform!
You are reliable and committed to seeing this apprenticeship through from commencement to completion.
To be successful in this role you need the following:
Essential skills & competencies:
- Mechanical aptitude
- Passion for the Motor Industry
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Excellent time management skills
- Ability to follow instructions, processes and procedures
- Willingness to learn
- Good communication skills
- Friendly and have a great personality
- Completion of year 10 or higher
- Successful completion of MTA's pre-selection test which can be conducted at our Training and Employment Centre or Online
- Provisional Drivers Licence
- Completion of a Certificate I or II in Automotive
- Work Experience in the Automotive Industry
The MTA is a Registered Training Organisation (RTO Code 2293).
If you're over 21 years old, please read MTA's Adult Apprenticeship Policy prior to completing an application.
If you have experience in the automotive industry but not the qualifications, you may be eligible to receive Recognition of Prior Learning.
Take the first step to a successful career in one of the most cutting edge industries today and apply now for an Agricultural Diesel Mechanic Apprenticeship!
We are not asking for a resume from you. Simply complete the application process by clicking the Apply Now button and we’ll be in touch.
Please Note - Agricultural Apprentice roles may not always be available at the time of application or during the initial training period prior to placement with a host employer. If this is the case the MTA may offer you an alternate heavy vehicle role such as Commercial Vehicles (e.g. trucks or buses) or Mobile Plant (e.g. earth moving equipment or cranes).
No recruitment agencies please
For more information on Skills SA criteria click here or visit www.skills.sa.gov.au